Are you one of the thousands of people who don’t consider squirrels to be a problem? Squirrels are definitely a bigger threat than they appear, and can do quite a bit of damage inside and outside your home.
Here are 5 reasons why you don’t want squirrels in your home…
- It’s not safe – Squirrels love to gnaw on everything they can get their little paws on. This includes live wires. If a squirrel bites through a live wire, it can become a serious fire hazard. The gnawing leaves the wires exposed, which puts your home at risk of a fire. The perfect place for a squirrel to nest is where they can be hidden and undisturbed. That means it’s quite difficult to find them. It also means that if a fire did start in your roof space or walls, the fire would spread really quickly before you notice it.
- It can make you ill – Squirrels have to poop! And these faeces can contain all types of diseases and illnesses; diseases and illnesses that could infect you. The most common diseases squirrels can carry are salmonella and leptospirosis.
- Oh, the smell! – Squirrels are rodents, so of course they smell! Especially if one passes away in your walls or roof. Good luck trying to find the dead squirrel too, as they will go into hiding to pass away.
- They can destroy your car – Having a squirrel in your home is one thing, having them in your garage is a whole new kettle of fish! If a squirrel finds its way into your car, they will enter the engine compartment for warmth and shelter. Say goodbye to your wiring in there too. A lot of damage can be done in a short amount of time, and your insurance company will not be happy about paying for rodent damage.
- Your home will be ruined – We all take a lot of pride in our homes. So why even chance the outside appearance of your home being destroyed by squirrels? Anything that can be chewed on, will be chewed on! The damage can be costly and unsightly.
Don’t risk a squirrel problem. Once they are in your home, the damage and costs related can be staggering. Don’t wait until you have a full blown infestation to get help; call in the professional squirrel pest controllers. Our personal favourite is a company in London called Empire Ltd…the y have always done a great job for us.