It’s a scary proposition when you think your Northern California home might be infested with termites. Termites are destructive little pests that cause millions in residential and commercial damage each year. Before you panic, though, here are a few things our termite company Santa Clara wants you to know about termite infestations and what we look for when you call us to investigate a potential problem in your home.
What to Expect from your Santa Clara Termite Company
When you call our Santa Clara termite company, there are a few basic steps we conduct to determine the best course of action.
- We look for evidence of an infestation. Even if you don’t see the pests themselves, termites leave behind tell-tale signs of their existence in your home. For instance, termites dehydrate quickly, so they use mud and build mud tubes to travel and to maintain the humidity levels they require to survive. We look for mud-packed construction joints or cracks in concrete around your property. We also look for the mud tubes these pests use to traverse in and around your home.
- We look for wood damage. A termite infestation may not appear to the untrained eye. Termites burrow inside wood beams so the damage they cause is usually undetectable from the outside. A highly-trained exterminator looks for signs such as mud and mud tubes, and sometimes he can tell an infestation simply by tapping on the beams and listening to the sound it makes.
- We identify the termite species infesting your residence. Here in Northern California, there are three common types of termites: western subterranean termites, western drywood termites and Pacific dampwood termites. Of these three species, the western subterranean termites cause the most significant structural damage costing homeowners in Sacramento, Santa Rosa, San Francisco Bay, Monterey and Fresno, especially, the highest in economic loss.
- We inspect other wood features around your home. If wood exists, termites can eat it. This includes things such as wood mulch, stacks of firewood, wooden decks and sheds, wooden fences and more. When you enlist the services of a termite company in Santa Clara, all of these areas around your property will be included in the inspection.
- We recommend having a termite inspection annually. Northern California has a high termite population. It is recommended that homeowners schedule a yearly termite inspection by a professional termite inspector. Termite.com estimates as many as one in five homes in Northern California’s urban areas has been or will be attacked by termites each year. With estimates this high, it’s extremely important to stay on top of termite control.
If you think your home may be suffering a termite infestation, or you would like more information on the topic, contact your local termite company Santa Clara to speak with an expert.