Home Improvement Tips

Protect Your Family and Your Home from Health Hazards Related To Fire

824 0
Protect Your Family and Your Home from Health Hazards Related To Fire

Do you know fires are the second major cause for accidental deaths? Fire can be caused due to several reasons including electrical leakage, fire in kitchen, flames from candles, chimney fire and gasoline leakage etc. Damages caused by fire to your home and your health can be devastating.

Health hazards caused by smoke

A small fire is enough to spread smoke. Smoke lingering in the air is very dangerous. A few people are more affected by smoke than others. Little kids, elderly, pregnant women, fetus and individuals with respiratory diseases like asthma are more affected by smoke than others.

  • Smoke causes irritation in eyes, throat and nose.
  • Smoking makes breathing difficult because it affects the lungs. It causes shortness of breath.
  • Inhaling carbon monoxide leads to decrease in the level of oxygen in your body. This can cause headaches and will worsen the cardiovascular conditions. It will aggravate angina. The symptoms will last for a few days.
  • The tiny smoke particles that enter your system may linger for several days and even months. This can cause lung irritation. It may even lead to scarring of alveoli.

It is not advisable to deal with fire and smoke on your own. It is best to get the services of a professional fire damage restoration company. Fire damage Marietta GA will be dealt professionally by the trained experts of the company.

Damages to your home

  • If fire is put off with water, the moisture content it can lead to mold growth. Mold growth spreads very swiftly. It will spread to all places within 48 hours.
  • Smoke will enter electric wiring, water pipes and all dents. It results in surface oxidation. The resultant smoke odor lingers for several weeks.
  • Metals may start to melt.
  • Electrical wiring affected increases the risk of shock.

You should take proper precautions to avoid fire accidents and damages.

  • Install a fire extinguisher in your home.
  • Never leave the pans unattended while deep frying.
  • Clean chimneys regularly.
  • Don’t leave papers and clothes near combustible materials like candles.
  • Check electrical blankets regularly.
  • Electrical appliances should be checked from time to time.
  • Petrol and gasoline stored in house should be stored in approved safety containers.

Don’t panic when there is a fire. Remember that carbon monoxide is a silent killer. It is advisable to hire a reliable fire restoration company to make sure your health and your home are safe.